Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: What???s that material?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I just want to find the same material (TAR/GOO) of the 511E used. Cause I want to use it for my 511B horns vanes damping and also the horn?s body of outside. The silicon is not my target material. So, have anybody can tell me?

    Any reply will be appreciated.

    Thank you

    HiFiPlayer

  2. #2
    Inactive Member blakehoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2003
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    <Any reply will be appreciated.>

    I've used regular latex paint, dipped in powdered sand, let dry, them painted and dipped again.
    Hey, it works!
    ...and is heavy as h**l, too!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Blakehoo

    Thanks for your reply,

    I think this is a good idea. I'll try if no any ideas.

    I can imagine the weight after completed with this way.

    I have consideration that to grind the yew then mix the boiled tar to cover with the 511B. and then use some pressure to let it cling with the horn. But not sure that would it works. My final target is to find out what?s thing was used on the 511E.

    HiFiPlayer

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Datubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use artists non-drying modeling clay. Also heavy as Sh*t. forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm, the only pair of 511Es I've seen were just painted, like all the other 511s. If you're referring to the 311 series, they were sprayed with Aquaplas, same as the later multicells. It works OK, though for a given thickness the latex and sand coating is superior, or build a box for them back to the driver flange and fill them with Portland cement.

    WRT vane damping, cutting out the welds and inserting sorbothane or rubber wedges works well. I got good results from filling the gap with a GE black RTV flexible gasket making material. For just a coating, rubber cement, clear silicone, etc..

    The main thing though is to damp the bells.

    GM

  6. #6
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Datubie

    Thank you!

    I think this is another good idea. But I think this clay would more suit for the multicell horns gaps fill up. Have you tried this way? forums

    HiFiPlayer

  7. #7
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    GM

    Greatest idea! The damping material of the 311 used just the one that I want to find.

    Thank you very much !

    HiFiPlayer

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, then contact these folks to hopefully find a company that will spray them for you: http://www.blachford.ca/aboutUs/6.html

    GM

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Datubie's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by HiFiPlayer:
    Datubie

    Thank you!

    I think this is another good idea. But I think this clay would more suit for the multicell horns gaps fill up. Have you tried this way? forums

    HiFiPlayer
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have any exposed cell multicell horns, but I thing getting the clay into the small gaps will be very difficult. For multicell horns, spray foam will get you better coverage, but it will be more or less permanent and will as such reduce the value of the horns. The ggod thing about non drying modeling clay is that it is removable and the oil in them actually protects sheet steel type horns from rust.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Datubie

    I hvae considered the horns will reduced value after add any material on its surface.

    I believed that non drying damping material would provide superior result.

    HiFiPlayer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.